From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Myers, John F.
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 10:56 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Fwd: [RDA-L] Undifferentiated personal names: call for
community discussion

In the main, the thrust of the discussion paper is an obvious implication of
the ideas in FRAD and of the authority record changes in RDA.  It is a
necessary development as we move from construction of headings to creation of
robust, element-configured authority records as the locus of establishing
identities.

My concern for this proposed environment is the adequate presentation of
differentiating information, however tenuous, for such undifferentiated
records.  This would facilitate the quick determination by catalogers of a)
which prospective authority record corresponds to an identity to be associated
with a given bibliographic record, and b) whether establishment of another
undifferentiated authority record might be required.

One such solution might be retooling our current authority displays so that
something akin to OCLC's Brief List display (currently configured for
bibliographic records) becomes available for authority records too.  For
example, expand an authority search's truncated list entry for "Doe, John. (3)"
to provide the 3 entries:
     Doe, John. [author. Book of topic A. 1956.]
     Doe, John. [editor. Book on topic B. 1999.]
     Doe, John. [performer. [SR]. Music to remember. 2010.]
(Caveat, the above examples are made up with absolutely no coherent regard for
current authority record practice or potential RDA authority information.)

It is also possible that a new bibliographic framework, which could provide a
comprehensive overall picture of entities in the various FRBR entity groups
rather than bifurcating our records into bibliographic and authority silos, may
address this concern in a better manner.

Whatever the solution turns out to be, I would encourage exploration of this
question of presentation, as we progress towards implementation of individual
records for name entities with non-unique headings.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
807 Union St.
Schenectady NY 12308

518-388-6623
mye...@union.edu<mailto:mye...@union.edu>

Forwarded on behalf of the PCC Policy Committee. Please excuse duplication.

Please cc c...@loc.gov<mailto:c...@loc.gov> on all responses.