From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:33 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] 370 Russia, Federation ?

Good question, Adam. I assume it's because people have gotten into their mind
that the rule is "remove the parentheses and replace with a comma" but of
course even though that usually works that isn't actually what is called for in
the last paragraph of 16.2.2.4, which says to "precede the name of the LARGER
PLACE by a comma." As you observe "Federation" isn't the name of a larger
place, so presumably it should be recorded "Russia (Federation)" in 370.

Or perhaps we should record just "Russia" in 370? Is this a case like Adams
(Iowa : Township), where we would just record "Adams, Iowa" in 370, dropping
the type of jurisdiction qualifier (by NACO policy)?

This also has bearing on qualifiers used with corporate bodies. I've been
looking for examples in the authority file of "Russia" being used as a
qualifier on a corporate body and I see inconsistency—in some cases people have
used "(Russia)" e.g. Evraziĭskiĭ sovet po standartizat︠s︡ii, metrologii, i
sertifikat︠s︡ii (Russia); in others they've used "(Russia (Federation))", e.g.
Don Cossack Chorus (Russia (Federation)), both recent LC records.  The majority
seem to be just "(Russia)".

In any case, I don't think there's any justification for "Russia, Federation"
in 370.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian Genre/Form
Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.