Heidrun said:

>Because it's true that the front cover for an "ordinary >person" (not
>hindered by a librarian's education) may be as important or even more
>important as the title page.

Interesting.  I would be inclined to stick with title page, because
the same content (same type setting as was said when type was still
set) may be reissued with a new cover and/or spine title, or rebound
locally with a new binder's title.

Where I would apply your insight is for motion picture videos.  The
DVD container is what patrons see.  The DVD represents a new
manifestation. with resources (e.g., deleted scenes, interviews) not
in the original film.  In North America. often the non English title
on the title frame is not even on the container.

In both cases, 246s are needed.  Cover, spine, and binder's titles for
books; title frame title for a DVD, plus 740s for featurettes and
other titled inclusions (or their equivalent in nuMARC).  While some
favour a 130 with "(Motion picture)" qualifier, our clients find the
qualifier and GMD to be in conflict, and a 130 title not visible on
the container, to be confusing.

RDA removes the GMD, so the "(Motion picture)" qualifier will be even
more confusing, leading patrons to expect a reel film, in the absence
of a good icon.