In principle I agree with Mac. It's straightforward when hardback and paperback
are on the same record in OCLC. However, I think when best records in OCLC
carry ISBN of the hardback or paperback, but not both, it can be a judgement
call. Perhaps the paperback came out too late to be included in the hardback
record or it could be a conscious chose? Regardless, one's faced with the
choice of using the best available record that matches the item in hand or add
ISBN of paperback to the hardback record. I don't know if there is consensus.
As to abbreviations, I agree to use it consistently would be simpler for
everyone. Too bad that's not what RDA says and catalogers judgment covers a lot
of things.

Jack Wu
Franciscan University of Steubenville
j...@franciscan.edu

>>> "J. McRee Elrod" <m...@slc.bc.ca> 11/16/2012 2:54 AM >>>
Jenry Lam asked:

>Are hardback and paperback of the same imprint treated as same
>manifestation in RDA?

To avoid duplicate records, we will treat them as the same
manifestation.

>When we record the ISBNs in MARC in RDA, should we include the
>qualifier in bracket (ie hb/pbk, or hardback/paperback)?

We will retain these abbreviations, along with cm, in., min.  As in
many cases, I suspect we will see variations in RDA records.

When in doubt, we do what is best for clients.

Scanned by for virus, malware and spam by SCM appliance