James Weinheimer wrote:

> With online resources, everyone is looking at *exactly the same files* so
> the utility of even considering an online resource in terms of a
> manifestation may be far less useful.

It seems to me that the concept of manifestation is no less important when
considering online resources.  And they are certainly not always "exactly the
same files".  For things such as electronic journals, there can be very
significant differences between manifestations (the one found on the
publisher's web site vs. Ebsco vs. Gale, etc.).

And then there are also ebooks, where you have versions for Kindle, for Nook,
etc.  Sound files can be in various formats and at different bit rates.
Graphic files can be in different formats and resolutions.

Many books, films, sound recordings, etc. have been digitally converted and
remastered multiple times, and there are very real differences between the
versions--differences which can be significant, perhaps even critical, to the
user.

Compared to the print world, one could argue that we are dealing with a greater
number of manifestations, and there will always be a need to distinguish
between them, on both the managerial side (e.g. selection and acquisition) and
the user side (obtaining files whose formats and features meet the user's
needs).

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library