Bernadette asked: "And if a composer sets a pre-existing poem to music, what
relator term should the poet get?  None of the creator list terms are
available, and 'writer of added lyrics' presumes that the music predates the
text."

No one has replied to this yet, so I'll try to tackle it.

This is a 'Related Work' situation.

I could not find a specific Related Work \ Derivative Work \ Relationship
Designator at J.2.2 <http://access.rdatoolkit.org/J.2.2.html> , so I would
use either the most general "based on (work)" or one step down "adaptation
of (work)"; unless "musical setting of (work)" could apply?

In RDA minus MARC:

Related Work:   AAP (or link to record) for the Poem

Relationship Designator:  musical setting of (work)

In RDA/MARC: add a Related Work added entry for the poem:

                700 1# $i musical setting of (work): $a Poet, John. $t Poem.

Yes/No?

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.