I think though that what needs to guide catalogers in this case is that the
student who wrote the dissertation is asking for a typo correction. The
rest of the equation such as a (sic) or a 246 is only valid as long as the
student doesn't find the typo important. In this case the student does so I
would let the student have the dissertation, recommend that he/she go to
the "Grad office" for help. When the dissertation made its way back to me
then I would catalog it.

Remember, cataloging also involves public service, which by quoting
cataloging rules to a student who does not know them, is  not being served
here.

Sorry ... I will always disagree with the oh well crowd.

Thank you.

Jerri Swinehart
MLIS
Library Technician III