I don’t have the automated authority control turned on in my Innovative
installation.  I’ve just downloaded and overlaid the authority records.  The
Global Update functionality works very well to flip the bibliographic headings
– a reasonable compromise between fully automated and a one-by-one approach.  I
have found that it takes some care with the process, but it is mostly
manageable.

Caveats:

1)      Do not automatically strip out all O.T. and N.T. – there are instances
were these need to be flipped to Old Testament and New Testament.

2)      Do not automatically flip all O.T. and N.T. to Old Testament and New
Testament – there are instances where the final period (full stop) needs to be
retained.

3)      Make no assumptions that your ‘Find’ text corresponds to a clean data
file – re-execute your search to see what “dirty data” floats to the top and
hence requires manual intervention.

4)      Regarding searching and downloading: There are instances in the local
subject authority file where older records have either been subsumed into name
authorities or deleted outright – these too require some manual grooming.

John F. Myers, Catalog Librarian
Schaffer Library, Union College
Schenectady NY 12308

mye...@union.edu<mailto:mye...@union.edu>
518-388-6623

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Joan Milligan