From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Benjamin A Abrahamse
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:55 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Non-"arabic", non-roman numerals

I have a Greek book, with the preface numbered in Greek numerals (cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals).

I assume that I would follow RDA 3.4.5.2, "Record pages, etc., that are
numbered in words by giving the numeric equivalent" and record:

15, 418 pages

and add a note:

"Pages 1-15 (first sequence) numbered with Greek numerals."

Though it looks like the record will validate in OCLC if I record: ιεʹ, 418
pages.

Is there a preference? I would note that there are other instances in which a
books page numbers would be recorded in other numeral systems: Arabic (using
real Arabic numerals, not our so-called "Arabic numerals"), Hebrew, Devanagari,
etc.

Thanks,
Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries