From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Gene Fieg
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 2:43 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] "approzimately" in access points

And meanwhile the patron is wandering in the desert supplicating the deity for
meaning.

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, James Weinheimer
<weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com<mailto:weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com>> wrote:
On 04/07/2013 18:07, Elizabeth O'Keefe wrote:
<snip>

On a somewhat related issue (it was raised in Mac's post), is anyone

else bothered by the display when only a death date is known?

Smith, John, -1932
</snip>

I have experienced the same thing. I recently cataloged an item with the
subject heading:
Agatha, Saint, -approximately 250.

I copied and pasted it unthinkingly but when I was editing my record, I
couldn't understand what this meant, and it was only when I realized that the
earlier heading was:
Agatha, Saint, d. ca. 250

and the "d." was changed to a hyphen, and the "ca." was changed to
"approximately", did I understand what the heading was supposed to say. But
that was only because I know the AACR2 heading.

The new heading is incoherent.
--
James Weinheimer weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com<mailto:weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com>
First Thus http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/

--
Gene Fieg
Cataloger/Serials Librarian

Claremont School of Theology and Claremont Lincoln University do not represent
or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any of the information or content
contained in this forwarded email.  The forwarded email is that of the original
sender and does not represent the views of Claremont School of Theology or
Claremont Lincoln University.  It has been forwarded as a courtesy for
information only.