From: Kathleen Lamantia
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:06 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] GMD - where is everyone on this?

We are also keeping the gmd.  Patrons and staff both count on it for quick and
easy identifying of which record is desired.

It should be noted however, that we use non-standard gmds of our own
construction – dvd, cd, book on cd, compact disc, etc – so they are really more
like smds.

We have recently transitioned to Sierra (we are a III library.)  That may make
some difference as these designations (derived from Field 30, Mat Type) now
appear in a “choice” box to the left of the main display. The 245|h [gmd] was
critical before we made the switch. Due to this other appearance of the gmds we
may, in the future, consider eliminating them, but it will be some time yet.

The terrible new 3xxs are currently suppressed.  We are waiting to see if they
ever serve any useful purpose for machine-searching of out catalog. They convey
no comprehensible information to staff or patrons at all.

Kathy

Kathleen F. Lamantia, MLIS

Technical Services Librarian

330-458-2723