The last time I looked at this LC-PCC PS (a few days ago), it had not yet been
changed.  I don’t know if LC plans to follow the rest of the PCC on this.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries

From: Panchyshyn, Roman
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:01 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Relationship designators, LC and PCC Core

Folks,

I am looking to corroborate some information about relationship designator use,
and this disgraceful government shutdown is giving me problems accessing
information from LC. Regarding the use of relationship designators, right now
the LC-PCC-PS for 18.5.1.3 states that their use at LC is only mandatory for
use for illustrators of children’s materials only. Earlier this year, a task
group called the PCC Relationship Designator Task Force issued guidelines that
were accepted by PoCo, that stated:

“Include a relationship designator for all creators, whether they are preferred
access points or added access points.  If the 1XX is not a creator, the
addition of a relationship designator is optional.”

I believe a decision was made that LC was going to change the LC-PCC-PS and
adopt this PCC recommendation, and I’m just looking for confirmation that this
is so.

Thank you.

Roman S. Panchyshyn, MLIS

Catalog Librarian, Assistant Professor