Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 8:07 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] alternative titles and variant access points

It is a long time since I was first learning to catalog and not sure if the rules in this area have changed. I do not often add 240's to records I create locally, and don't change many in records downloaded from other sources.

That being said, my understanding of 240's to give a title that historically has had different names under one uniform title, eg. Aesops fables as a title, rather than Fables of Aesop. It was also used for the foreign language title for a work that was translated, even if the foreign languate title did not appear on the book.

The 246 was to show variations to a title when it appears different ways on the book, or a subtitle that because of typography or location may be considered the title by patrons looking for the book. Or cover or spine titles, again because patrons may be looking for the book under that alternate title. It did appear on the book.

The 246 replaced the former 740.

kathie

Kathleen Goldfarb
Technical Services Librarian
College of the Mainland
Texas City, TX 77539
409 933 8202

 Please consider whether it is necessary to print this email.