I know that this is not technically an RDA issue but it comes up with respect
to RDA because the examples in 1.10 (Notes) do not include ISBD punctuation,
and so catalogers are sometimes left with questions on how to punctuate notes
correctly.

When a note is quoting the source of information (see 1.10.3) and so ends with
a quotation mark, does the full stop fall inside or outside of the quotation
mark?  I am having trouble finding an instruction that addresses this.

RDA provides the example (identical to AACR2):

"Published for the Royal Institute of Public Administration"

The 2010 edition of ISBD, section 7, also provides examples of quoted notes but
without punctuation:

. -- "Map based on uncontrolled aerial photography flown 1972. Map field
checked 1973"

Based on these examples, and ISBD instruction on prescribed punctuation
(ISBD:2010, 7-1: "When each note is given in a
separate paragraph, these punctuation marks are omitted, or replaced by a point
at the end of the note") it would seem we should punctuate the note:

"Map based on uncontrolled aerial photography flown 1972. Map field checked
1973".

And yet I see amply (though not universally) attested in OCLC the inclusion of
the period within the quotation, e.g.:

"Map based on uncontrolled aerial photography flown 1972. Map field checked
1973."

This latter example conforms to what I've always done, without really thinking
about it, and it conforms with standard written English. Does anyone know if
there is an specific instruction somewhere on this, or does it just fall under
1.7.1 Alternative ("agency creating the data may establish in-house
guidelines... or choose a published style manual ... and use those guidelines
or that style manual insteado the instructions at 1.7.2-1.7.9 and in the
appendices.")

Thank you,
Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse