On 2/15/23 10:32, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
I've googled enough to find out that rdiff stores the backup files as reverse
diffs so I should be able to go to the backup directory and copy the latest
version if I need that.

If I need an earlier version, presumably the diffs are a "standard" format such
that I can apply patch (multiple times as necessary) to get to the earlier
version I need?
You don't have to do any patching manually, just ask rdiff-backup to "restore" and use
the "--at {time}" option to specify what version. The manpage explains this fairly
clearly:

   restore [CREATION OPTIONS] [COMPRESSION OPTIONS] [SELECTION OPTIONS]
[FILESYSTEM
   OPTIONS] [USER GROUP OPTIONS] [--at time|--increment] source targetdir
       restore a source backup repository at a specific time or a specific
       source increment to a target directory. See RESTORING for details.

       --at time
           the source parameter is interpreted as a back-up directory, and the
           content is restored from the given time. See TIME FORMATS for
details.

       --increment
           the source parameter is expected to be an increment within a back-up
           repository, to be restored into the given target directory.

                Do NOT delete it.