Hello Dominic,

Yes, that is to distinguish between the rdiff-backup package provided by
debien repo and the various version provided by my unofficial repository.

You can install a specific version of rdiff-backup.

sudo apt install rdiff-backup-1.2

sudo apt install rdiff-backup-2.0

sudo apt install rdiff-backup-2.2

Here the version could be installed in parallel. If I remember correctly,
you may need to create a symbolic link to your default version.

/usr/bin/rdiff-backup -> /opt/rdiff-backup-2.2/rdiff-backup

--
IKUS Software
https://www.ikus-soft.com/