Hi Greg et al,

You can increment by one the number of large organisations still not fully
converted to RH6!  It's a real pain for me as a developer. I have been
unable to build the latest few releases of Qt 5 on a RH6 machine with the
system g++4.4, for example.  However, my experience developing code for a
large organisation with hardware dispersed over a number of sites each with
its own peculiarities of linux support is that it's essential that the
final production version is built with the default system compiler for the
target OS. Otherwise you get compatibility issues with missing libraries,
wrong version of glib etc.  This means that I am still having to compile
some code with g++4.1 on RH5. I don't know why RedHat is so behind with its
compiler support, but whilst it is I would need to continue to be able to
build code with g++4.4.  Your idea of a compatibility branch is a good
stopgap. Having said that I wonder if, in practice, it's much different
from just saying if you have an old compiler you need to use an older
version of RDKit that works with it. You might maybe promise to fix, or
help affected people to fix, the most egregious(*) of bugs in the last
version supported by the older compiler, but no more than that.  I think
this would be an acceptable stance to take - the fact that the compiler I
use can't support a standard that's nearly 4 years old is surely my problem
and shouldn't be an excuse to hold everyone else up.

Cheers,
Dave

(*) And from what I see, the quality of the testing is such that that is an
exceptionally rare thing.