I expect the technical reason is that the boost wrapping was done well in
advance of the swig.

Having used both, I think that boost wrappers are far more pythonic, compile
faster, do docstrings better and finally handle exceptions between c++ and
Python far better.

The downside is that when you get a compile error, it is several pages long.

While doing the same is possible in swig, it would require a serious rewriting
that is one whole bunch of "not fun".
----
Brian Kelley