Dear all,

This message is only applicable/of interest to people who build the
RDKit themselves. If you use RDKit binaries that someone else builds,
you can ignore this message. If you build the RDKit yourself, please
read the message and let me know if the problem I describe affects
you.

I've made a lot of changes in the RDKit code base over the last couple
of weeks that improve the stability and/or speed of the code. I'll
post a list of those in the near future. Yesterday I discovered that
some changes I made to the SMILES, SMARTS, and SLN parsers will cause
problems on systems that have an ancient version of flex installed.

Specifically: if your version of flex is something like 2.5.4 (as
opposed to something like 2.5.33, 2.5.34, etc.), you will no longer be
able to build the RDKit as it's currently setup in svn.

Given that v2.5.4 of flex dates from 1997 and that the newer versions
have been out since 2006, and that the changes I made are actually
quite useful (aside from cleaning up the code, they allow the
SMILES/SMARTS parsing to work in a multi-threaded environment), I'd
rather not undo these changes. I think there are ways of working
around the problem, but before investigating them too seriously, I'd
like to find out how many people are actually affected.

So, if you build the RDKit yourself, please let me know if your system
has an ancient version of flex installed and if it is a problem for
you to install a more recent one.

You can test your flex version as follows:
  % flex -V

If you're interested, the changes in question are mostly in rev1380:
http://rdkit.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rdkit?view=rev&revision=1380

Thanks for the feedback,