On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Andrew Dalke
<da...@dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
>> My reading of the SMARTS theory manual
>> (http://www.daylight.com/dayhtml/doc/theory/theory.smarts.html) says
>> that [0*] means "any atom with a mass of 0", so [!0*] would be "any
>> atom that doesn't have a mass of 0". What am I missing?
>
> In the Daylight, OpenEye, and OpenBabel data models, an
> incoming atom which doesn't have an assigned isotope number
> is given the isotope number of 0.
>
> That is, they treat [0S] the same as [S].

That is definitely wrong according to the Daylight theory manual:
"Isotopic specifications are indicated by preceding the atomic symbol
with a number equal to the desired integral atomic mass. An atomic
mass can only be specified inside brackets."
So [0S] would be S with an atomic mass of 0.

> I just posted an email to the BlueObelisk-SMILES list on this topic.
> The OpenSMILES spec says that these two atoms should be different,
> but I don't think that's right.

We can agree to change it, but it's certainly consistent with what
Daylight says in the theory manual.