On 06/07/12 10:27, JP wrote:
> Steifl -- that is a really crafty and less painful way how to go about
> it.
>
> The SMILES is in fact, a wget call away - since I am processing PDB
> deposited structures.
> http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/rest/describeHet?chemicalID=NAG

It is not clear to me how the SMILES helps you.  You still have to map
between rdkit atoms and PDB atom names, do you not? How about using the
monomer library?

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/murshudov/content/refmac/Dictionary/dictionary.html

> Of course, this approach is not generally applicable (and for this
> you'd need the perception code Greg mentioned).

Hmm... I am unconvinced that you want to be doing chemistry perception.

> For the protein I can somehow "guess" the bonds.

What do you mean by "guess" here?  Are you worried about histidine
protonation?