On 22/01/13 05:40, Greg Landrum wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Paul Emsley <pems...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>> I am making heavy weather of the following problem - and am wondering if I
>> am missing something (such as a useful RDKit function).
>>
>> I am working on this beasty (as an example):
>>
>> http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/ligand/ligandsummary.do?hetId=0CP
>>
>> COc1ccc(cc1O[C@H]1C[C@@H]2CC[C@H]1C2)C1CNC(=O)NC1
>>
>> which has a norbornane substituent. I am trying to prepare input for a
>> downstream program that needs to know if the norbornane atoms are in a
>> 6-membered ring [1].  RingInfo gives me the 2 5-membered rings.  I am
>> strugging to make use of that information to find 6-membered rings.  I have
>> been using makeRingNeighborMap() and pickFusedRings().  Am I missing an
>> RDKit function that finds all rings?
> There's not currently any RDKit functionality which finds all rings.
> It wouldn't be terribly difficult to add, but it could return a huge
> number of rings (imagine the results for C60). Another option would be
> to add a function
> bool atomIsInAnyRingOfSize(const Atom *at,unsigned int size)
> that does the check on demand.

Not terribly difficult, as you say, but easier for you than me, I
imagine.  I had a bash with the trace_path() and
handle_bigger_rings_from_fused_rings() methods, for the record, here:

http://code.google.com/p/coot/source/browse/trunk/lidia-core/cod-types.cc

I'll try and get it released under the same licence as the RDKit, fwtw.
The thing that was non-trivial (for me) was the "shall we recur deeper?"
rule.

Cheers,

Paul.