From: James Davidson <j.david...@vernalis.com<mailto:j.david...@vernalis.com>>
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:13 PM
To:
"rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net>"

<rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:rdkit-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net>>
Subject: Re: [Rdkit-discuss] Chemistry 101 question...

Hi JP, Nik, Greg, RDKitters

The question about the lipophilicity (or otherwise) of nitro groups was
interesting to me…  I came from a CNS background, where there was, of course, a
stricter requirement for molecules to be suitably lipophilic to cross the
blood-brain barrier.  My recollection was that the observed lipophilicity of
nitro groups was dependent on their local environments (ie electron rich / +m
gave more polar character, and electron poor / -m gave more polar character)…
But rather than rely on my hazy recollections, I decided to have a quick look
back at some historical reverse-phase analytical LC data.

What I did was took all retention times (in mins) under one well-used gradient
method, and generated the matched-molecular pairs using George’s KNIME node.  I
was then only interested in *[H] >> [*][N+](=O)[O-] transformations, so
filtered-down to just those changes involving 5 atoms in the transformation
(because this was quicker than chemically searching!).  I then grouped across
the examples of transformations to give some average changes in retention time,
plus n, range, sd:

Transformation

Mean RT change (min)

RT range (min)

SD

*[H]>>[*]CCC

2.5

3.3

0.999

28

*[H]>>[*]C(C)C

2.19

5.47

1.09

37

*[H]>>[*]CCCl

1.91

1.5

1.06

2

*[H]>>[*]C(F)F

1.22

1.36

0.748

3

*[H]>>[*]C1CC1

1.18

1.04

0.436

4

*[H]>>[*]N(C)C

1.08

1.21

0.472

6

*[H]>>[*]CSC

0.67

0

0

1

*[H]>>[*]OCC

0.479

4.67

1.17

15

*[H]>>[*][N+](=O)[O-]

0.169

2.82

0.645

35

*[H]>>[*]NCC

0.0625

0.045

0.0318

2

*[H]>>[*]CCO

0.06

0.04

0.0283

2

*[H]>>[*]COC

-0.001

2.46

0.62

14

*[H]>>[*]CC=C

-0.357

0

0

1

*[H]>>[*]C(C)=O

-0.397

1.21

0.696

3

*[H]>>[*]C(=O)O

-0.848

4.3

2.17

3

*[H]>>[*]CC#N

-1.3

2.35

1.66

2

*[H]>>[*]C(N)=O

-2.72

0

0

1

*[H]>>[*]CCN

-2.77

0

0

1

So on average over the 35 examples of H --> NO2 the change made the molecules
slightly more lipophilic (or, at least, they were retained slightly longer on a
C18 column).
I expect there is much more data-digging that could be done – particularly with
larger data sets, and (maybe) with proper logP / logD measurements; but for now
I am going to stick to thinking NO2 groups can be lipophilic additions(!)

Cheers

James

PLEASE READ: This email is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended
for the named addressee(s) only and access to it by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the
contents of this email or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is
unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender or
postmas...@vernalis.com<mailto:postmas...@vernalis.com>. Email is not a secure
method of communication and the Company cannot accept responsibility for the
accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please check
this email for virus infection for which the Company accepts no responsibility.
If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless
otherwise stated, any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not represent those of the Company.

The Vernalis Group of Companies
100 Berkshire Place
Wharfedale Road
Winnersh, Berkshire
RG41 5RD, England
Tel: +44 (0)118 938 0000

To access trading company registration and address details, please go to the
Vernalis website at www.vernalis.com and click on the "Company address and
registration details" link at the bottom of the page..