Hi RDkit-Devs,

** Disclaimer: Just used git as svn till now **

What are the best practices for submitting code changes to the RDKit
codebase via git?

Right now I do the following:

0. Fork the rdkit repository (upstream)
1. Make my changes on the master
2. Send a pull request to original RDKit repo

I have local commits I do not want to send in the pull request (e.g.
.gitignore file which ignores all build files).  Also I have some
"erroneous" commits in my forked repo which I would not like to send over).

The solution probably lies in using branches - but what is the best
practice to do this? Should all commits which I want to send be in the
branch and the commits I want to keep "private" be on the master (or on
another branch).  How do you do it?

Perhaps I am thinking too much in terms of SVN.

Cheers
JP

[small note:  By mistake, I sent this email from another address to the
mailing list and I got the "Waiting for moderator approval message" ...
just pointing this out perhaps there are other messages stuck in that queue]