Prelude to this: In general (but not always) I have tried to ensure that
the RDKit recognizes the centers that are considered potentially
stereogenic by InChI (Table 8 in the InChI technical manual). They put a
lot of thought into this and it makes sense to benefit from it.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Jose Manuel Gally <
jose-manuel.ga...@univ-orleans.fr> wrote:

> Hi rdkitters,
>
> I wrote a very small python snippet to detect all chiral centers of a
> molecule, including unspecified ones:
>
> # from rdkit import Chem
> def getStereo(smiles):
>      m = Chem.MolFromSmiles(smiles)
>      Chem.AssignStereochemistry(m,
> cleanIt=True,flagPossibleStereoCenters=True, force=True)
>      return Chem.FindMolChiralCenters(m, includeUnassigned=True)
>
> However this seems to provoke errors in some cases (or I'm confused!),
> for instance:
>  > smiles='C=S(c1ccccc1)S(=C)c1ccccc1'
>  > getStereo(smiles)
> [(1, '?'), (8, '?')]
> I did not expect these sulphur atoms to be considered chiral.

As John pointed out in the later message, x-S(=x)-x is considered
potentially stereogenic in InChI.

> Another example would be:
>  > smiles='C[C@@H]1O[C@H](C)CC[NH+]1CC1CC(=O)Oc2cc3ccccc3cc21'
>  > getStereo(smiles)
> This means that the [NH3+] is considered chiral, is it expected?

That's not an [NH3+]. It's a four-coordinate, sp3 hybridized, N. That is a
potential stereocenter.