Hi Guillaume et al.,

First of all, I’d like to recommend “Molecular Descriptors for Cheminformatics”
(http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-3527318526.html) as a
slightly more up to date version of the Handbook of Molecular Descriptors, and
a truly excellent resource in this area.

Secondly, I’m not sure that I-State = E-State is correct. I think I-State (or
Intrinsic-State) indices are local vertex invariants defined as a function of
principle quantum number, and simple and valence vertex degree.  The E-State
(or Electrotopological-State) indices are a result of propagating these I-State
indices of atoms though the molecular graph (again producing local vertex
invariants).  The exact formulae for both may be found in the original
publication:

Hall, L.H. and Kier, L.B., J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci., 1995, 35 (6), pp
1039–1045
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ci00028a014
DOI: 10.1021/ci00028a014

If you are replicating some of the descriptors in DRAGON, I think they stopped
using E-state indices as an atom weighting scheme a while ago, and started
using I-State.  The reason for that, I don’t know.

Just a heads up, I have been working on implementing a subset of the DRAGON
molecular descriptors as part of my “scikit-chem” project (which uses rdkit to
provide a scikit-learn like interface for some common cheminformatics tasks)
for use in my PhD.  This includes MoRSE, RDF, WHIM, autocorrelation, GETAWAY,
matrix features, topological and constitutional indices and more.  The code is
unfortunately currently a complete mess so I am too ashamed to push it publicly
to github at the moment, but I’ve implemented a large subset of these already.
I am currently running short on time to finish my PhD, otherwise I would offer
to help with the RDKit implementation (I don’t think it would easy be to port
my implementations directly).

Thanks,
Rich

--