Dear All,

Enthused by all the great talks at the UGM, for the last couple of days I have
been getting more hands-on with RDKit than I have in quite a while!
I was keen to work with some peptides/proteins in 3D, but am having some
problems when adding hydrogens...

I have uploaded a GIST to demonstrate the issue (apologies - the py3Dmol js
doesn't render in the nbviewer, but this doesn't affect understanding):
https://gist.github.com/jepdavidson/f5220187c18be0fc9e119f9da2e7d955

The main problem is that added hydrogens don't automatically get assigned
monomer info from the monomer they are being added to, but there are other
issues as well (the hydrogens are marked 'HETATM', the occupancy for the ATOM
blocks are set to "-nan", and the CONECT block doesn't list the added Hs).

Propagating the monomer info from the amino acids to the added Hs isn't too
difficult (can call atom.GetNeighbors() and take the info from the neighbouring
atom) - but there are also some preferred (or required?) naming and numbering
conventions to adhere to ("H" for the backbone NH, "HA" for the hydrogen on the
alpha carbon, etc).

Perhaps I am missing something here (a secret 'flavour' option? :)) - but if
not, it would be interesting to hear what behaviour others would expect when
adding explicit hydrogens (I think the same issues will relate to any sequence
where monomer information is present).

Kind regards

James

PLEASE READ: This email is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended
for the named addressee(s) only and access to it by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the
contents of this email or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is
unauthorised and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender or postmas...@vernalis.com. Email is not a secure
method of communication and the Company cannot accept responsibility for the
accuracy or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please check
this email for virus infection for which the Company accepts no responsibility.
If verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless
otherwise stated, any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not represent those of the Company.

The Vernalis Group of Companies
100 Berkshire Place
Wharfedale Road
Winnersh, Berkshire
RG41 5RD, England
Tel: +44 (0)118 938 0000

To access trading company registration and address details, please go to the
Vernalis website at www.vernalis.com and click on the "Company address and
registration details" link at the bottom of the page..