Hi,

I have a project where I would like to find similar atom environments to a
specified atom in a selected molecule.

For example

Suppose I have this query molecule C1CNCC(C1)c1ccccc1, and the selected atom is
the nitrogen.

I also have a file containing SMILES strings and ID for a list of reference
molecules.

I would like to identify the molecule within the references molecules that
contains a nitrogen most similar to the selected atom in the query molecule
even if the rest of the molecule is very different.

My feeling is to start with say a 3 atom radius and if no similar atom is found
above a set similarity to repeat the search using a 2 atom radius, but to be
honest I suspect it will require a bit of trial and error to see what the
optimum radius is?

I'd then want to return the ID of the most similar molecule.

I’ve had a look through the examples but not found anything that close.

Cheers

Chris