I think Alexis was referring to converting actual SMILES strings found in
random text. Chemical entity recognition and name to structure conversion
is another story altogether and nowadays one can quickly go a long way with
open tools such as OSCAR + OPSIN in KNIME or with something like this:
http://chemdataextractor.org/docs/intro

George