Hi James,

what about '[nX3]c=O'?

p.

On 09/19/2017 12:26 AM, James T. Metz via Rdkit-discuss wrote:
Hello,

    Given the following aromatic structure

m = Chem.MolFromSmiles("CN1C=CC(N)=NC1=O")

    I would like to construct a SMARTS pattern to
recognize the aromatic amide (nitrogen attached to
the exocyclic methyl group) and not recognize the other
NCO group of atoms.

    I have tried

pattern = Chem.MolFromSmarts('[N,n]-,:[C,c](=[O])')

but, this matches */both/* NCO groups of atoms which
I do not want.

The completely "aliphatic version"

pattern = Chem.MolFromSmarts('[N]-[C](=[O])')

does not match either NCO group of atoms.

I am stumped.  I have also tried several recursive
SMARTS expressions, but I can't get the syntax
right.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Regards,
Jim Metz