Brian, Greg, and David,

    Thank you for your suggestions.  I will try to respond to your questions
and comments:

    I am trying to reproduce results from a literature paper that used
non-PYTHON and non-RDkit
code to identify certain patterns in molecules as part of a group contribution
scheme resulting in the
prediction of thermodynamic quantities.  I have a training set of molecules and
the results of calculations
for that training set (individual counts of groups of atoms and resulting
energies).  Hence, my first goal
is to reproduce the results reported for that training set, but using PYTHON
and RDkit.  Since my goal
is to reproduce literature results as closely as possible, I am not in a
position to debate the logic of the
original authors in their assignments of SMARTS/SMILES matching and counts.

    After this initial goal is met, I might consider alternative pattern
matching and counting schemes and

compare those results to the literature results.  In fact, that would be good
science.

    As I mentioned in my first email on this topic, I do think I have come up
with a "rule" that will give me

the correct answer (I have tried it for 8 cases using pencil and paper), my
challenge is to code up the
"rule" in PYTHON.  I am a beginner at PYTHON, so I am struggling to get this
idea into functional, bug-free
code.  Peter Shenkin's idea/code is getting close to what needs to be done, but
doesn't handle all the cases.

    Regards,

    Jim Metz