Dear RDKitters,

here is a project idea for GSoC 2018 (actually brought up by Greg during the Hackathon of RDKitUGM2016):

Project: RDKit lite

Brief explanation:
Create a minimal version of the RDKit that only contains basic functionality (like MolFrom/ToSmiles and substructure search capabilities, (...)) in order to make it easier to create bindings to the RDKit from other languages or to port the RDKit to other languages.

Expected results:
A minimal version of the RDKit that could be bound to from other languages like Go, Rust or Nim, would immensely enhance its reach by introducing cheminformatics capabilities to languages where this functionality is currently still missing or lacking.

Prerequisites: C, C++

Mentor: t.b.d.

Kind regards,
Axel