I agree that are potential gotchas, and even if we can't think of them,
someone else might, which is one of the reasons that I think that, even
following any due diligence we are able to accomplish, the facility, if
implemented, should be subject to a runtime flag.

In your three graphical illustrations, I can't think of any reason that the
ring on the left should not be aromatic in all cases.

Yes, we do need to say that the exocyclic double bond, to be considered,
needs to be to an electronegative element, certainly N or O, though this
reference seems to indicate that S (a little surprisingly to me) should
also qualify. But to paraphrase Freud, "Sometimes an edge case is just an
edge case."

You wrote:

Considering the Kekule form of a structure:
- If a C atom is valence saturated and has a double bond to a "more
electronegative atom" (let's agree that N and O meet this definition and
then argue about other things later), it contributes zero pi electrons to
whatever ring system it's in.
- If a "more electronegative atom" is valence saturated and has a double
bond to a C, then it contributes two electrons to whatever ring system it's
in.

So the first atom in each of your two cases is the ring atom? So the first
point refers to the C=O carbon in pyridone and the second refers to the N
in pyridine? (Just asking for clarification here.)

Personally, the way I think of 2-pyridone aromaticity is more from the
point of view of the ring N. (The operative word may be "personally.)  The
C=O is willy-nilly stuck in sp2 hybrdization. In the VB structure, then, N,
with 3 single bonds to it, appears to be sp3-hybridized at a first glance.
But because of O's electronegativity, that C=O has significant C-[O-]
character, leaving a vacant p orbital.

Then, to achieve the thermodynamic stability that aromaticity provides, the
ring C-N(-H)-C moiety can hybridize to sp2, as C=[N+](-H)-C, where the N
has donated two electrons into the bond that has just become double. This
picture helps me understand, chemically, why the exocyclic double bond has
to be to an electronegative atom in order to confer aromaticity; namely, it
leaves the p-orbital on the C from which the double bond emanates vacant
(in that resonance structure), which allows the ring N to rehybridize. An
off-ring =CH2 would not do that; the corresponding C-[CH1-] resonance
structure would not be sufficiently stable to contribute materially.

Given this, all three structures in your illustration exhibit an off-ring
=N, so all should make the left ring aromatic. I'm not sure whether this
addresses the concerns you expressed about the 2nd and 3rd structures in
the illustration.

The kind of gotcha I am afraid of is a situation where, in two condensed
rings, a double bond to the right ring might make the left ring aromatic
but a double bond to the left ring might make the right ring aromatic, but
somehow they could not be simultaneously aromatic. Thus, then, atom
ordering might dictate the result, and if that's the case, what would the
right answer be, chemically? Might neither of them actually be aromatic?

-P.