Hi Greg,

Thanks for your answer. After my post I got myself the Hanson et al. paper,
and now understand better how the new algorithm works, and why there is no
such thing as CIPRanks anymore.

I use the CIPRanks for prochirality assignment, and subsequently those
assignments in NMR grouping (=which nuclei are chemically equivalent in
NMR). Briefly, I check if the neighbors of a stereogenic center have two
equal CIPRanks, manipulate one of those to have priority over the other and
re-calculate the stereochemical label, which then reveals the pro-R/pro-S
assignment. I think the new code can be modified to do something similar,
basically answering the question "These branches of the graph have the same
priority, but what would be the stereo label if they would not?".

Anyway, I hope that the legacy CIPRank code is not going to be removed in
the future, since the subsequent part of my NMR grouping code still
involves CIPRank manipulations & re-ranking - this can't be avoided since
finally I still need a global ranking to tell which nuclei are chemically
equivalent.

Happy holidays!
Juuso