Hey Adam,

Creative solution #1 Do not install solar on any roof if you can ground mount it.

Is this He Adam or the Him Adam?

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
e-mail  offgridso...@sti.net
text 209 813 0060

On 2023-06-05 3:47 pm, AE Solar via RE-wrenches wrote:

Hey all,
I had started a thread about bonding to metal roofs in 2018 but can't figure out how to respond via the archive. I know some things have changed since then, so I'm circling back and starting a new thread.

In NY one of our inspection agencies (NYSERDA) requires bonding of metal roof panels below the array, as well as within a 3' perimeter of the array. S-5! in combination with Ironridge is now listed to bond the roof under the array (so long as you hit every pan with an attachment) but this doesn't solve the problem of trying to bond within the 3' perimeter. For installs where we are only 18" from the ridge, this means we are required to bond the adjacent roof as well.

Whenever possible we install Illsco SGB-4 lugs under the ridge cap. But more and more we're finding roofs where the ridge cap feels inaccessible, tricky, or where we simply don't want to get into roof warranty issues associated with opening up a prior contractor's work.

Wondering if anyone else is coming up against this and what some possible creative solutions might be. I don't want to walk away from potential projects but...

As always, thanks for any thoughts
Adam

Adam Katzman (he/him)
Autonomous Energies | Owner/Operator