Never heard of one with LFP. The cobalt and Magnesium Lions are definitely out there. Was this a 6650 model Michael?
Going to be fun times doing a failure analysis on this one.

Dave Angelini Offgrid Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
   [1]https://offgridsolar1.com/ [2]  [1]
e-mail  offgridso...@sti.net
text 209 813 0060

On 2024-05-03 8:21 am, Michael Morningstar via RE-wrenches wrote:

Two days ago, one of my clients came home to find the door of his powershed blown off its hinges and a smoldering Discover AES. The case was still intact and the entire room is coated with a fine graphite-like powder. The fire department was unable/unwilling to do anything to cool the battery down and it smoldered for a day. 199 degrees fahrenheit after 18 hours. Discover is taking this seriously and their response has been great. They are in contact with the cell manufacturer to find a "best practices" for the clean up of the room. They also have said that this is a first for them (lucky me).

I'm just curious how rare or common LiFePO 4 explosions are? I've never heard of one in the context of residential storage. This has me pretty freaked out.

Michael Morningstar

Morningstar Electric Inc

PO Box 1494

Mount Shasta, CA 96067