So I've edited [Solution]  (https://sourceforge.net/p/readable/wiki/Solution/)
to describe SUBLIST; here's what I came up with:

  A $ (aka SUBLIST) in the middle of list is a promise to insert a "(" at that
point, with a ")" inserted at the end of the block (only if the right-hand side
has multiple datums)

Improvements are, of course, welcome.

HOWEVER.  I'm wondering if we have the wrong semantics on the "only one datum
on the right-hand-side" SUBLIST case.  In particular, in the current semantic:
  a $ b
means (a b), not (a (b)).

That makes the semantics harder to describe, because we have to add text to
correctly describe an exception, e.g., "(only if the right-hand side has
multiple datums)".  It also kind of "wastes" an opportunity for a different
result; currently "a b $ c" has the same meaning as "a b c", yet I'd think that
adding the "$" would have SOME effect.

Is there a reasonable reason for one semantic or the other? At either the
notional or implementation level?

--- David A. Wheeler