Heya Holger,

HK> No, REBOL caches and reuses the FTP control connection across
HK> subsequent accesses to the same host and directory.

But doesn't actually close any. Is there a way of forcing them closed?
How are you supposed to implement some sort of recursive system with
high-level FTP when Rebol tries to open as many threads as their are
directories? Clearly the concurrent user limit for the site will be
hit, to say nothing of the fact this is not efficient to say the
least.

HK> A new data
HK> connection has to be created for each file being transfered. That
HK> is not a limitation of REBOL, but rather a requirement of the FTP
HK> protocol.

Indeed, but it's the control connection which is limited on servers.

HK> The only situation when REBOL creates a new control
HK> connection is when you change directories. That is necessary because
HK> FTP provides no standard way to remotely navigate through the
HK> directory tree (in particular up the tree) without side effects.

What, other than cd .. ? I don't get it.

Assuming for a second that I buy this argument, and I'm really not
sure I do, then how would you recommend a recursive directory scan be
implemented in Rebol?

--
Mat Bettinson - EuroGamer's Gaming Evangelist with a Goatee
http://www.eurogamer.net | http://www.eurogamer-network.com