First think about this:  Using rebol, I use far fewer temporary variables.
In fact I can write vast amounts of code without using them at all.  So it
is not a big loss.

As far as unwanted side effects, this depends on the particular scheme you
use for accessing non-local words.  For instance, assuming an unset word is
local could pose just as many problems too.  Making all global words be
declared could be ugly, since these declarations would be everywhere.  They
all seem to be double edged swords.  In some languages such defualt to local
makes more sense, but because of my first point, I think Carl probably made
a good decision with defualt to global.

--Ryan

--

     Ryan Cole
 Programmer Analyst

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is
limited. Imagination encircles the world." -Einstein