Martin> I have a PRD implementation working -- took about four hours to write
Martin> something to parse the subtleties of the magazine format. Now I need
Martin> to emit Quark Tags (and write something general to emit InDesign tags
Martin> or HTML or text, too.) I'll probably make some sort of dictionary that
Martin> is tunable -- all of the dictionaries will have italic, just the
Martin> sigils will change from one format to another (sigil or tag, whichever
Martin> is a more accurate description.)

You should emit a nice XML representation, then use Template Toolkit
and Template::Plugin::XML::LibXML to do views on your data spitting
them out in the various ways.  That way, the parser is separate from
the translator, and you can view and select the intermediate results
in various ways.

I say this only beacuse I'm doing roughtly the same thing with a bunch
of FrameMaker files for my courseware... first, get a parser from MIF
to <XML>, and then build the right translations from XML to my desired
formats.