On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 09:01:19AM -0700, Ron Smith wrote:

> NO, we *don't* want the white space, if we can avoid it.

Okay, but why? Or would that be an entire treatise?

> >Hmmm. Is it 'together' or 'to get her'? Who is she? Who's on first?
>
> Touché.

So would a spaceless grammar have to make special provisions for any
and all foreseeable ambiguities such as this?

> >Isthatreallyhowyoureadtext?IfsothenIcanreallysaveawholelotofwearandtearonmythumbsbynotbotheringtoeverpressthespacebaronthiskeyboard!Thankyouverymuchforthishelp,Iwilltreasureitalways.Wasthata'spacebar'ora'spacebaron'?Whocares,asthereisnospace.Wewantspacescanyoutellushoworisitjustnotapossibility?
>
> Originally, I debated whether or not to respond to this in the above,
> without any white space.

Glad you changed your mind....

> OK, there is more than one way to do it.
>
> Way number one:
>
> lat:  ("i" | "o" | /m\b/) {$SFNParse::abbrevs{$item[1]};}
> .....................^.^^^
>
> forces a "break", usually with white space given your grammar.  Doing
> this gives:

Okay! So any character in our grammar which conceivably could cause
'overlapping' interpretations can be 'escaped' by enforcing a break.

>   thumb pick up  far  little finger  string
>   thumb pick up  top far outer  little finger  string
>   thumb move under near  forefinger  string, pick up  center near inner
>  little finger  string
>   thumb pick up  near  forefinger  string, move under center near inner
>  little finger  string  (this is now right - maybe?)
>   thumb move under near  forefinger  string, pick up  center near inner
>  little finger  string  (Yucch! But it parses....)
>

> Which I think is what you want.  (You never *did* say what you were
> looking *for*.  So I'm guessing here.

That is correct. Here is perhaps a better illustration, using the
break method:

1 pu 2nm mu 5cni

thumb pick up  near middle  forefinger  string, move under center near
inner  little finger  string

   Correct.

1pu2nmmu5cni

thumb pick up  near  forefinger  string

  And doesn't work because no break.

> Way number two is:
>
> lat:  ("i" | "o" | "m" ...!rel_move ) {$SFNParse::abbrevs{$item[1]};}
>
> which is the "lookahead" I mentioned previously.

Whoops! Now for the two previous lines I get:

  thumb pick up  near  forefinger  string

for both, which is incorrect. Looks like I'll have to adopt method 1.

Hey, thank you for the help. Sorry we hit it off on the wrong foot
initially (or wrong finger, I guess... Actually, the grammar used to
have a 'foot' in it as a bodypart - so you could say 'tr F O'. Except
it would probably come out 'transfer foots to mouth' due to some
semi-kludgy plural-handling code I expunged from the sample...).

Scott