Jan> However, it gets very slow with larger files. If I generate data files
with adjustable size with:

It's a known problem, unfixable without breaking something, unless
you gave a pragma to stop supporting some of the features.

The problem is that PRD uses "nibbling" to scan the string, which looks good
on paper, but doesn't scale when you start getting larger data.  The proper
approach ("inchworming") wasn't available when Damian started writing PRD
(perl 5.003), so we're stuck with the current implementation.

See <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/UnixReview/col55.html> for
a better description of the terms.