Tips for Perfect Biscuits
    *   Make sure your baking powder, baking soda, and/or self-rising flour
are  fresh! (see note at end of post)
    *   Start preheating the oven as soon as you start thinking about making
the  biscuits! You want the oven to be completely preheated before the
biscuits go  in.
    *   Prepare your ingredients and tools in advance so that once you get
started, you can work quickly and efficiently: cut your butter in small pieces
and put it back in the fridge, measure out the buttermilk, flour the counter,
 get out the biscuit cutter and baking sheet.
    *   Use very cold butter, keep it in the fridge until you’re ready for
it.  Work the butter quickly into the flour so that it doesn’t have a chance to

even think about melting!
    *   When you add the buttermilk, stir lightly! This can be done simply
with a  fork. You just want to get the dough to a point where the flour is all
clumped  together, not a smooth dough!
    *   Knead lightly and minimally. You aren’t kneading this like bread
dough,  you are simply finishing the mixing process with your hands. You only
want
to  knead a couple of times to finish dispersing the liquid through the
dough. The  more you knead, the denser your biscuits will be!
    *   Even if you use self-rising flour in the dough, dust the counter and
dough  with all-purpose flour. Self-rising flour can give the outside of the
biscuits  a bitter taste, due to the leavening it contains.
    *   Don’t pat the dough out too thin. If you want high biscuits, don’t
roll  the dough any thinner than 3/4 - 1 inch.
    *   When cutting biscuits, use a sharp cutter and press straight down and
up.  Don’t twist! This was the hardest tip for me to adapt. I have always
twisted  the biscuit cutter. But guess what, it makes a difference!
    *   Place cut biscuits together on the baking sheet so that they are
touching.  Again, this is something I have never done. But I found that the
biscuits do  rise well and I really enjoy the texture of the soft-sided
biscuits!
    *   Don’t re-roll the scraps. Since it is best to work the dough as
little as  possible, instead of gathering the scraps, re-rolling and cutting
into
biscuits, just form the scraps into biscuit shapes by hand. I usually end up
with scraps to form two extra biscuits. They might look a little funny, but
they rise as well as the others and they taste just as good!