Chocolate-Covered Strawberries Cake

Taste of Home

"I made this cake for our Cub Scout cake auction and almost didn't take

it because it looked so good," notes Carol McCartney of Danville, Ohio.

"It was one of our highest sellers!"

SERVINGS: 16

CATEGORY: Dessert

METHOD: Baked

TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter, softened

1-1/2 cups sugar, divided

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

4 egg whites

1 cup sliced fresh strawberries

FROSTING:

7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1-1/2 cups baking cocoa

3/4 cup butter, softened

1 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries

8 whole fresh strawberries

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1-1/4 cups sugar. Beat in

vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture

alternately with milk.

In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks

form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high

until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into batter. Fold in

strawberries.

Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350°

for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out

clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to

cool completely.

For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and

cocoa. Beat in butter and milk until smooth. Beat in vanilla.

Spread frosting over bottom cake layer; top with sliced strawberries. Top

with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Dip whole

strawberries into frosting; arrange around and on top of cake.

Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.

(From Weekend Recipes Beth Layman))

Sugar Says:
People are like stained glass windows:  They sparkle and shine when the sun is
out,
 But when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is
a light shining from within.