Flaws

A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on each end of a pole,
which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, and while
the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water at the
end of the long walk from the stream to the master's house, the cracked pot
arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the
bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water in his master's house.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect to the end
for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own
imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it
had been made to do. After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter
failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you."

"Why?" asked the bearer. "What are you ashamed of?"

"I have been able, for these past two years, to deliver only half my load
because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your
masters house. Because of my flaws, you have to do all of this work, and you
don't get full value from your efforts." The pot said.

The water bearer felt sorry for the old cracked pot, and in his compassion he
said, "As we return to the masters house, I want you to notice the beautiful
flowers along the path."

Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old cracked pot took notice of the sun
warming the beautiful wild flowers on the side of the path, and this cheered it
some. But at the end of the trail, it still felt bad because it had leaked out
half its load, and so again the Pot apologized to the bearer for its failure.

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on
your side of your path, but not on the other pots side?That's because I have
always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it. I planted flower
seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back from the
stream, you've watered them.

For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my
masters table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this
beauty to grace his house."

Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots. Don't be afraid of
your flaws. Acknowledge them, and you too can be the cause of beauty. Know that
in our weakness we find our strength.

A single candle can illuminate an entire room. A true friend lights up
an entire lifetime. Thanks for the bright lights of your friendship.