  From: steve doyle
  To: recipesandmore@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:29 AM
  Subject: [RecipesAndMore] It's Time For Watermelon!

  It's Time For Watermelon!

  Americans purchase and consume about 3 billion pounds of watermelon annually.

  Watermelon, considered one of America's favorite fruits, is really a
vegetable (Citrullus lanatus). Cousin to the cucumber and kin to the gourd,
watermelons can range in size from 7 to 100 pounds.

  * Melons may be kept at room temperature, un-cut, for about two weeks. Store
whole melons at 50-60 degrees.

  Cut melons should be wrapped and stored at 40-50 degrees.

  If you need a small amount of watermelon, it is best to buy a piece of a
larger one. It may be more expensive per pound, but you will be more likely to
get good flavor.