Hi Laurie:

You wrote:
>Sorry Tim, the issue is not ''simply what is said."
>
>The issue is the difference between criticising the enemy and giving
comfort
>to the enemy.

Okay, so the difference IS between what he said and what the enemies said he
said.  So you're back to arguing he shouldn't have said anything, or that he
should've said something else?

<SNIP>
Laurie:
>We can go on tossing whys and wherefores around forever, but the bottom
line
>is, Pearson has given impetus to a belief in the wider community that
>Aboriginal disadvantage is their own fault----this is demonstrably not the
>case.

And it is demonstrably not what he said.  It is demonstrably how you and
others have interpretted it - I agree.  Even the harsh comment from the
editorial "Mr. Pearson described welfare benefits as a 'poison' that turned
Aboriginal people into 'drunken parasites'" is not an example of blaming the
victim.

 Laurie:
> Judging by articles such as the abovementioned, and other widespread
>comment, he has contributed to the ongoing "It's their own fault"
>rationalisation in the non-indigenous community .

As I said - as if they needed him for that.  But again we seem to be back to
'he shouldn't have said what he said/he should've said something else.'

Look forward to your comments on the rest of what I said in the previous
post.

Incidentally, I liked your take on how the editorial twisted things and
lined up "acceptable" and "Unacceptable" Indigenous leadership.  I suspect
one of Pearson's main targets was the "progressives" who write SMH
editorials.

Cheers

Tim