There is already a tradition in practice for acknowledging Country.
I have heard it used (and used it myself) numerous times at events of all
kinds which I have attended.
It is much more specific:

It usually goes something like this in Melbourne:

I acknowledge and give my respect and thanks to
the Wurendjerri (clan) of the Woiwurrong language group in the Kulin Nation.

(The Kulin Nation was/is a confederacy of allied language groups in the
greater Port Phillip Bay area)

I don't think it is completely appropriate make a general acknowledgement to
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in general.
In the traditional Law of indigenous Australians one always paid respect to
and asked permission from the custodians of the land you were standing on.
Not some amorphous and artificial entity.

I think it is important that if people want to make an acknowledgement they
at least find out who the traditional custodians of their area are and the
appropriate way to address them.
Otherwise people could adopt the formula of thanking the Aboriginal people
in general whilst remaining ignorant about the reality of the local
indigenous land they are on.
     We need to avoid shallow gestures which salve the conscience of
whitefellas yet do little to change the ignorance (ignoring) of traditional
Law.