From:                   "Trudy Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     "news-clip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date sent:              Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:02:35 +1000
Subject:                ABC Newslink - Workers for Aboriginal health services sought
Send reply to:          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Workers for Aboriginal health
                   services sought
                   Tuesday 9 February, 1999 (7:11am AEDT)

                   An information kit aimed at attracting practitioners to
                   Aboriginal health services is being launched in Canberra
                   today.

                   Chair of the National Aboriginal Community Controlled
                   Health organisation Pug Hunter says health services
                   operate in communities throughout Australia, often in
                   challenging conditions.

                   However Mr Hunter says a shortage of qualified health
                   workers and medical resourcing is contributing to the
                   continuing high rates of disease and early mortalities
                   amongst Aboriginal people.

                   "The sad part about Aboriginal health is that it's bad in all
                   areas," he said.

                   "You pick up any report an we're always reporting on the
                   negatives because it's very hard to find some sort of
                   positive outcome at a national level.

                   "Now there's been some small gains here and there but on
                   the whole it just needs a lot of resources to actually
                   address some of these things."

This posting is provided to the individual members of this  group without
permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal
copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of
the copyright owner, except for "fair use."

|\/\/\/|   *Jim Duffield*           *[EMAIL PROTECTED]*
|   o o|
C      _)   If you stick a knife into my back nine inches
| ,____|    and pull it out three, that is not progress...
|    /      Progress is healing the wound, and Australia
|   |       has not yet begun to pull out the knife.
          [Reconciliation? with Apologies to Malcolm X]

************ http://www.omen.net.au/~staffy/ ****************
*     12 Hurrey Place BEECHBORO WA 6063 AUSTRALIA           *
*   Ph: 61 8 9377-7871  Fax: 61 8 9377-7871 (Pls ring first)*