Maybe our friend in Europe, Bernard Blanc, has the information on
where and how to counter the Govt lobbying of Committee members.
Bernard?

Trudy
*********************
>From ABC on-line news 8/3/99

Govt to spend $1 million to keep Kakadu off in-danger list

The Federal Government believes its campaign to stop the Kakadu
World Heritage area from being put on an in-danger list will cost
an estimated $1 million.

Government officials are strongly lobbying members of the United
Nation's World Heritage Committee in the lead-up to July, when a
decision on the area will be made.

Environment Minister Robert Hill has defended the cost of the
campaign, saying committee members need to be told of the facts.

"That's money which we would have much preferred to put into World
Heritage conservation and management," Senator Hill said.

"But unfortunately largely through the actions of the Labor Party
and the Australian Democrats we've had to spend it on other causes
of less value."

"We want the truth put to the committee so that they can then make
a decision objectively and fairly.

"Madam [Senate] President, we actually want to protect the
integrity of the World Heritage system from being undermined by the
Australian Democrats and the Australian Labor Party."